Garlic & Herb Butter
- Beat 250g butter until light and fluffy.
- Add 12 finely chopped garlic cloves and 30ml finely chopped chervil, chives and parsley.
- Season to taste with salt, freshly ground black pepper and grated lemon rind.
- Mix well.
- Use as a spread in sandwiches, to fry onions, make garlic bread, baste fish, meat or chicken.
- (Loosen the chicken skin on the breast and stuff with garlic butter before roasting for extra flavour).
Tip from the Chef
Group together individual pots of basil, chives, marjoram, and thyme on a north-facing windowsill for year-round snipping.
Chive and Lime Vinaigrette
- Combine the juice and the rind of one lime or lemon.
- Add 30ml chopped chives, a chopped garlic clove, 15ml honey and 5ml Dijon mustard.
- Gradually pour 100ml olive oil in a thin stream while beating continuously until the vinaigrette is thick and smooth.
- Season to taste.
- The dressing goes particularly well served with an avocado and grapefruit salad, sprinkled with almonds and parmesan shavings.