• 1888: "Jack the Ripper" murders 2 more women, Liz Stride & Kate Eddowes, in Whitechapel.
• 1931: Start of "Die Voortrekkers" youth movement for Afrikaners in Bloemfontein, South Africa.
• 1962: JFK routes 3,000 federal troops to Mississippi.
• 1975: Winnie Mandela released from banning order and house arrest.
• 1988: IBM announces shipment of 3 millionth PS/2 personal computer.
Arts, Music, TV:
• 1882: Sydney Richfield, SA composer, is born in London.
• 1941: Stephen Gray, SA writer and academic, is born.
• 1960: On Howdy Doody’s last show Clarabelle finally talks "Goodbye Kids".
• 2005: The controversial drawings of Muhammad are printed in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten.
• 1962: Mickey Wright wins LPGA San Diego Golf Open.
• 1989: Nolan Ryan’s perfect game broken in 8th, but gets his 300th strikeout.
• 1997: Yanks Tim Raines, Derek Jeter & Paul O’Neill are 1st to hit 3 consecutively homers in post season (Yanks beat Indians 8-6)
• 2004: A fire has destroyed the historic Wanderers Cricket club in Johannesburg during the night, reducing to ash historic documents, photos, trophies and records.
Source: historyorb.com & sahistory.org.com
Compiled by: Thandi Xaba