• 1789: Washington proclaims 1st national Thanksgiving Day on Nov 26.
• 1953: The international air terminal at Johannesburg’s Jan Smuts Airport is opened.
• 1941: Adolf Hitler says Russia is "broken" & would "never rise again".
• 1947: 1st telescope lens 200" (508 cm) in diameter completed.
• 2008: The $700 billion bailout bill for the US financial system is signed by President George W. Bush.
Arts, Music, TV:
• 1903: Gerrit Besselaar, cultural leader and Afrikaans author, arrives in Cape Town from the Netherlands and leaves for Bloemfontein to accept a post at Grey College.
• 1945: Elvis Presley’s 1st public appearance at the age of 10.
• 1999: T.V. (Tom) Bulpin (81), SA author of travel books and photographer, dies in Cape Town.
• 1992: Madonna premieres her "Erotica" video on MTV.
• 1910: Adolph Gysbert (Sailor) Malan, SA fighter pilot during WWII and later national president of the Torch Commando, is born in Wellington, CP.
• 1934: Harold (Ralph) Henning, SA golf player, is born in Johannesburg. Nuusdagboek: feite en fratse oor 1000 jaar, Kaapstad: Human & Rousseau.
• 1974: The SA Davis Cup tennis team, Bob Hewitt, Frew McMillan and Ray Mordt, beats Italy 4-1 in Ellispark.
• 1974: Pele retires as soccer player
• 1998: The Bafana Bafana, SA soccer team, wins the home game, the first qualifying game for the African Nations Cup later in Zimbabwe, against Angola 1-0. (—-, (2004). ‘Lucas Radebe: Footballer of the Decade,’ Kick Off 1994-2004, Special Edition, p. 10;.
• 1999: The SA rugby team wins its first match in the World Cup tournament against Scotland in Edinburgh 46-29.
Source: historyorb.com & sahistory.org.com
Compiled by: Thandi Xaba