The Treatment Action Campaign (TAC) will be marching across the country today demand an end to the dysfunction in our public health system and the ongoing stock-outs of essential medicines at clinics and hospitals.
We will also be marching to show solidarity with the people of the Eastern Cape who are coming together to challenge the unacceptable state of that province’s health system. TAC and SECTION27 today published a special report on the crisis in the Eastern Cape health system. That report can be accessed at http://www.ECHealthCrisis.org .
In addition to the above, we will also be handing over memorandums to the MECs for health in the provinces noted below. These memos relate to problems specific to the health systems in these provinces.
The details and media contacts for tomorrow’s events are as follows:
– Free State: TAC Free State will be picketing on Thursday at a number of clinics from 10:00. Clinics include: Freedom Square Clinic and Chris Devet Clinic in Bloemfontein, Mafane Clinic and Thaba-Nchu Clinic in Thaba-Nchu, and G Clinic and H Clinic in Botshabelo.
Contact Sello Mokhalipi on 073 365 9903 for more details and the full list of clinics.
– Gauteng: TAC Gauteng and partner organisations will march on Friday from Beyers Naudee Square to the provincial legislature starting at 09:30. Contact Stephen Ngcobo for more details on 073 846 0910.
– Limpopo: TAC Limpopo and partner organisations will march on Thursday from SABC Park in Polokwane to the Limpopo Department of Health starting at 10:00. Contact Amukelani Maluleke on 072 592 9897 for more details and to request a copy of the memo.
– Kwa-Zulu Natal: TAC KZN and partner organisations will march on
Thursday from Darlies Park sports grounds in Pietermaritzburg to the Capital Tours Offices. The march will start at 10:00. Contact Mzamo Zondi for more details on 082 268 2531.
– Mpumalanga: TAC Mpumalanga and partner organisations will picket on Thursday at the main entrence of the Mpumalanga Government Complex building in Nelspruit starting at 10:00. Contact Thobile Maseko for more details on 078 631 3972.
– Western Cape: TAC WC and partner organisations will march on Thursday from Keizergracht to the provincial legislature and from their to parliament. The march will start at 10:00. For more details contact Mandla Majola on 076 609 8818.
Note: The above demonstrations all build up to our joint march with members of the Eastern Cape Health Crisis Action Coalition this Friday. The Eastern Cape march will start at 11:00 on Friday at the Bisho Stadium from where marchers will proceed to the provincial legislature. Contact Kwazi Mbatha on 078 059 9309 for more information.