SELLWANE KHAKHAU & CHRISTAL-LIZE MULLER
The only reason why Eskom did not go ahead with its intention to cut electricity to two Free State municipalities today is that both Ngwathe and Maluti-a-Phofung have opted to approach the courts in a bid to stop the process. This is according to Eskom spokesperson Khulu Phasiwe.
Phasiwe told OFM News that Maluti-a-Phofung took them to court yesterday, while Ngwathe took the same step last week. Phasiwe added that neither municipality has made any payment arrangements.
“Maluti-a-Phofung has taken us to court and the court has preserved the judgement. Due to court proceedings that are underway, we were unable to interrupt their services. Ngwathe also took us to court last week Thursday (May 28th). The municipality was instructed to make payments arrangements within 14 days,” he said.
Meanwhile Maluti-a-Phofung’s spokesperson, Kedibone Sentle said payment arrangements have been made with the power utility.
She said R180 million has been set aside to partially repay their debt.
Ngwathe municipal spokesperson, Steve Naale also told OFM News that the municipality is working on payment arrangements.
Maluti-a-Phofung owes over R600 million, and Ngwathe over R300 million.