A Dutch Reformed Church in the town of Redelinghuys in the Western Cape was ablaze on Tuesday morning, News 24 has reported.
The church was built on July 1 1918, costing £15,000 and seating 1,000.
It is not yet clear what has caused the fire, but reports indicate that a surge from a nearby cellphone tower sparked the fire. Other reports point to a short-circuit in the tower of the church, as it is allegedly used to house cellphone-related equipment. Forensics are currently trying to establish the exact cause of the fire.
The fire has reportedly destroyed the entire building, but no injuries were reported.
Chief fire officer of the West Coast Bertus Senekal told News24 that the building has been cordoned off, as the fire may cause what is left of the structure to collapse completely.
Facebook has been flooded with photos of the fire, with residents and members of the NG community mourning the loss of the historic building.
Updates to follow as more information is made available.
Compiled by Nica Schreuder / The Citizen