Free State Department of Education will be hosting Dinaledi and Dinaletsana camps for Grade 8 – 12 learners at Central University of Technology (CUT) from Sunday, 23rd to the 28th of June in Bloemfontein, starting at 13h00.
The objective is to assist learners to close content gaps, revision and prepare for exams during school holidays.
The Dinaledi camps will be attended by 450 Grade 10-12 learners and Dinaletsana by 200 grade 8 and 9 learners. Subjects to be offered at the camps are: Mathematics, Physical Science, Life Sciences, Accounting, Business FAL, English, Technology and Natural Sciences.
The annuals camps improves learner performances and also reduces the rate of drop-outs especially in grade 9 and 10.
Meanwhile, there are other seven winter classes and camp programmes that will be running in parallel which are:
- The usual Winter Class that will be supporting 15 212 township learners of which 11 096 are promoted learners.
- The Departmental winter class programme supporting Grade 9 and 10 which was implemented to amend the Grade 9 and 10 drop out over the three years. It will be attend by 14 075 Grade 9 learners as well as 17 639 Grade 10 learners.
- Excellence Camp that is conducted in partnership with Jenn Training and Consultancy. The programme was supposed to be held last year December for two weeks. It will be attended by 2500 learners and the main subject focus will be Mathematics and Physical Science and other subjects will be offered as well.
- In partnership with The South African Institute of Charted Accountants (SAICA) the Department will support 200 Grade 12 learners who will be offered assistance on Mathematics, Physical Sciences and Accounting.
- Talent Development Plan Camp that is conducted jointly with the Department of Science and Technology has supported 40 Grade 12 learners in partnership with the University of Stellenbosch who obtained an average pass rate of 70% in Grade 11.
- In partnership ETDP SETA the department is supporting 1200 Grade 12 learners who will be offered Mathematics, Physical Science and Accounting in Motheo and Lejweleputswa District.
The education department encourages learners to attend these classes.