The Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) postponed the application to contest the release of Chris Hani killer, Janusz Walus, on parole to May 29 in Bloemfontein this afternoon.
The appeal has been postponed to allow the Hani’s family to file statements as the SCA felt that their side of the story needed to be taken into account when Walus was granted parole by the Pretoria High Court last year.
South African Communist Party, Second Deputy General Secretary, Solly Mapaila, said they are hoping to file the documents on 12 May.
Mapaila says the victim-offender dialogue is essential on parole matters.
“Even when the [Justice] minister took the decision to appeal, they did not actually take into account the side of the victims because they were not part and parcel of the main court documents. Therefore the court felt that that was a serious error and it needs to be rectified. That means the documents that we have filed where we call for victim-offender dialogue to take place as according to the rules within the Parole Act will now be considered. It reaffirms our views and not what Judge Nicoline van Niewenhuizen, said when she said that the family must move on and that the victim’s side doesn’t count,” he said.
Hani’s widow, Limpho Hani, was also present at the appeal hearing. The appeal hearing came just weeks after the late SACP leader’s 24th death anniversary.
Moeketsi Mogotsi/Courant News