Two-Cheese, Mushroom and Biltong Soup
This week we share a two-cheese and biltong soup recipe from Cooking with Courant: South African Winter Food. Follow up with a dark chocolate fondant – the perfect ending to any winter meal.
|1pkt||basil leaves, keep some for serving|
|1ml||ground or grated nutmeg|
|1,5litre||beef or vegetable stock|
|150g||cheddar, finely grated|
|200g||biltong, thinly shaved, and extra for serving|
|100g||blue cheese, or feta|
- Heat the milk and add the fresh basil leaves, cover the pot with cling film and set aside for 30 minutes to allow the basil to infuse the milk. Strain the milk after 30 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a deep saucepan, add the sliced mushrooms and
- allow to brown slightly. Add the flour to form a roux. Add all the spices and lightly flavour with salt and pepper.
- Add the beef stock and milk to the roux and cook on a low heat while stirring occasionally (cook for about 2-3 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and add the grated cheddar and biltong. Do not boil again until just before serving.
- Set aside.
- Just before serving, add the cream and allow the soup to heat through.
- Crumble the blue cheese into the soup and serve with extra biltong on top.
- Serve with a generous bunch of fresh, torn basil and crusty farm style bread.