• 1781: Piet Retief is baptized in Drakenstein, Western Cape.
• 1845: First black lawyer (Macon B Allen) admitted to bar (Mass)
• 1952: First landing by an airplane at geographic North Pole.
• 1960: The Anne Frank House opens in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Arts, Music, TV:
• 1958: Henry Cornelius, SA born British movie director, dies.
• 1954: Pulitzer prize awarded to Charles A Lindbergh & John Patrick.
• 1965: First use of satellite TV, Today Show on Early Bird Satellite
• 1971: "All Things Considered" premieres on 112 National Public Radio stations.
• 1978: Last cricket test match appearance for Bobby Simpson, at Kingston.
• 1997: ABC Bud Light Masters Bowling Tournament won by Jason Queen.
• 2000: The sport of geocaching begins, with the first cache placed and the coordinates from a GPS posted on Usenet.
• 1977: Ryan Dempster, American baseball player is born.
Source: historyorb.com & sahistory.org.com
Compiled by: Thandi Xaba