• 1946: 1st "autobank" (banking by car) forms (Chicago).
• 1980: The Minister of (Black) Education and Training announces that compulsory education for Black children will be introduced in stages, with a first programme beginning near Pretoria.
• 1985: Over 600 people killed in Liberia in an unsuccessful military coup against President Samuel Doe, led by former Brigadier-General Thomas Quiwonlpa.
• 1981: 1st balloon crossing of Pacific is completed (Double Eagle V).
• 1990: Tim Berners-Lee publishes a formal proposal for the World Wide Web.
Arts, Music, TV:
• 1935: John G. Gubbins (58), collector of Africana, especially books, dies in Johannesburg.
• 1984: Paul McCartney releases "We All Stand Together".
• 1987: "Teddy & Alice" opens at Minskoff Theater NYC for 77 performances.
• 1991: "Full House" 100th episode-twins are born.
• 1910: Arthur Dudley Nourse, SA cricket captain, is born in Durban.
• 1995: The SA rugby team plays for the first time against Italy and win the match in Rome 40-21.
• 1978 : Nancy Lopez wins LPGA Colgate Far East Golf Open.
• 1982: Mikele Leigertwood, English footballer is born.
Source: historyorb.com & sahistory.org.com
Compiled by: Thandi Xaba