• 1950: 1st typesetting machine to dispense with metal type exhibited.
• 1954: 1st Miss America TV broadcast.
• 1961: Foundation of the World Wildlife Fund.
• 1926: Dr Gerrit Viljoen, first rector of the Randse Afrikaanse Universiteit (RAU), is born in Cape Town.
• 2001: Two passenger planes hijacked by terrorists crashes into New York’s World Trade Towers causing the collapse of both & death of 2,752 people.
Arts, Music, TV:
• 1952: Jani Allan, South African Journalist, is born.
• 1959: "Duke" Ellington wins Springarn Medal for his musical achievements.
• 1962: Drummer Ringo Starr replaces Pete Best of the Beatles.
• 1967: Beatles’ Magical Mystery Bus driven around England.
• 1979: Steve Hofstetter, comedian & radio personality is born.
• 1988: 108th US Men’s Tennis: Mats Wilander beats Ivan Lendl (64 46 63 57 64) in 4hrs 55 min – longest men’s final in US Open history
• 1994: Jingyi Le swims female world record 50m freestyle.
• 1997: The Bafana Bafana, SA soccer team, loses 1-2 against France in an away game.
• 1999: The Gauteng Lions win the Bankfin-Currie Cup by beating the Natal Sharks on King’s Park rugby field 32-9.
• 1998: His Majesty, the King of Malaysia, officially opens the Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur. Teams of South Africa also take part.
Source: historyorb.com & sahistory.org.com
Compiled by: Thandi Xaba