Tapas are a wide variety of appetisers or snacks in Spanish cuisine. They may be cold or warm. In select bars in Spain, tapas have evolved into an entire, and sometimes sophisticated, cuisine. This week Chef Suné Niemand is sharing more of her bar food delights.
(Makes about 1kg – 40 minutes)
|1kg||fresh beetroot, peeled and diced|
|2||apples, cored, peeled and grated|
|350ml||red wine vinegar|
- Combine all the ingredients in a large pot and mix well.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chutney is thick and the beetroot tender, about 1 hour.
- Let the chutney settle for about 10 minutes, then spoon into jars and seal while still hot.
- The chutney can be eaten immediately, but it will develop even more flavour after a month.
- If well sealed it will keep for up to 6 months in a dark, cool place.
- Once opened, refrigerate and eat within a month.Beetroot Chutney