#SAlockdown: NC distributes thousands of food parcels

0
1047
Some food prices could fall after good rain

The Northern Cape Provincial Government says it has distributed food parcels to 25 555 households, reaching about 125 000 people during the national lockdown due to the coronavirus.

OFM News reports that the spokesperson to Premier Zamani Saul, Bronwyn Thomas-Abrahams, says on average 1500 food parcels were distributed to households daily. She says the distribution of food parcels will continue this week in all five districts. She says that various donors have so far generously given food and other essential goods to ensure that we continue providing relief to the poor and vulnerable. Meanwhile, 17 people have thus far been confirmed positive for the Covid-19 in the Northern Cape with 6 patients having recovered. No deaths were reported.

“As the government, we have to date delivered 668 and installed 379 [water] storage tanks. There is a daily increase in the delivery numbers in terms of storage tanks, as well as hygiene products such as soap and sanitisers,” says Thomas-Abrahams.

On Monday night, the Provincial Department of Health in the province announced that over 895 swab samples of suspected Coronavirus cases have been sent to the National Health Laboratory Service (NHLS) for testing. The spokesperson of the Provincial Department of Health, Lebohang Majaha, said as part of the national government’s efforts to trace Covid-19 suspects, over 388 076 people have been screened so far.

OFM News previously reported that the department on Sunday said most of its Covid-19 infections in the province originated from outside the region. Two people, who participated in a golf tournament with residents from the Western Cape and Free State, are also among those that contracted the coronavirus.

Meanwhile, on Monday night Health Minister Zweli Mkhize announced that the total number of confirmed Covid-19 cases in South Africa stands 4793.  “The total number of tests conducted to date is 178 470, of which 9 827 were done in the last 24 hours,” he added. He also announced 3 new Covid-19 related deaths, bringing the total to 90. “We convey our condolences to the families and friends. We urge you to continue physical distancing and the use of fabric face masks when out,” Mkhize added.

OFM News/LUCKY NKUYANE