With the year already in full swing, the upcoming April holidays should bring about much needed rest and relaxation with friends and family. For anyone travelling on the busy roads, staying safe should be a top priority.
Lindiwe Monyae, Emerging Consumer Market executive at Liberty says: “Claim statistics released by Liberty for the year 2017 revealed that road accident claims were the highest during South African holiday months. At least 80% of these involved males between the ages of 19-35.”
Monyae encourages a general safety check prior to travelling, including checking in with your financial adviser to ensure that you have the right short and long term insurance cover in place.
Here are some safety tips to bear in mind before you hit the road:
- Plan ahead; know where you are going before you go.
- Sleep the night before you leave, fatigue on the open road is dangerous, make sure to get a good night’s rest.
- Take a break every two hours or every 200km.
- Where possible share the drive with a licensed driver.
- Stay hydrated with a lot of water along the way.
- Keep your family informed about your whereabouts during your pit stops.
- Adhere to the speed limits on the roads.
- Make sure that your car is serviced and roadworthy.