The 20th National Teaching Awards (NTA) are set to take place this afternoon where about 65 teachers representing various districts will go head to head at the provincial finals.
These awards seek to acknowledge hardworking and excellent teachers and also profile the teaching profession. Free State Premier, Sisi Ntombela and Education MEC, Tate Makgoe will reward excellent teachers at NTA at Imvelo Safari Lodge today.
According to a press release by the department, the province applauds all the teachers who made it to the finals and asserts that they don’t only represent themselves in the competition but each and every teacher in the province. It states that the province has done well in awarding the finalist with certificates, trophies, prize money, laptops, TV and trips.
The finalists compete in the following 13 categories:
- Excellence in Primary School Teaching
- Excellence in Secondary School Teaching
- Excellence in Special Needs Teaching
- Excellence in Teaching Mathematics (FET)
- Excellence in Teaching Physical Sciences (FET)
- Excellence in Technology Enhanced Teaching and Learning
- Excellence in Primary School Leadership
- Excellence in Secondary School Leadership
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Provincial Teaching Awards
- Excellence in Teaching Mathematics ( Primary Schools )
- Excellence in Teaching Natural Sciences (Grade 7)
- MEC’s Special Award: Excellence in Teaching English in Primary Schools that converted to English as LOLT
Free State NTA winners will thereafter compete on national level against other provinces.