Free State MEC of Education, Tate Makgoe, along with Premier Sisi Ntombela, will be visiting the school of the little boy who passed away last week after eating what is suspected to be a poisoned candy bar. Seven children from Tsholetsang Primary School in Rocklands, Mangaung, were taken for emergency medical treatment on Wednesday, after ingesting the chocolate.
According to Education spokesperson Howard Ndaba, the purpose of the visit is to offer condolences to both educators and learners following the tragic death of 8-year-old Relebohile Mokgadi.
“Six other learners whom Mokgadi allegedly shared the candy bar with fell ill and were rushed to hospital where they are recovering. Premier Ntombela and MEC Makgoe will also visit the family of the deceased learner,” said Ndaba.
MEC Makgoe said the death of young Mokgadi left him saddened. “This was a tragic death of a young boy who had his whole life ahead of him. We are still shocked and saddened,” he said.
“All the relevant authorities are currently investigating the matter to determine what could have led to this tragedy. Once again, on behalf of the department, I wish to convey my sincere condolences to the family, teachers and friends of the deceased,” explained MEC Makgoe.
While the 8-year-old learner died shortly after he was admitted to a local clinic last week, Courant reported that two others were in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at Pelonomi Tertiary Hospital. They have since been stabilised at the facility.
“The 9-year-old boy who was unstable and had been placed on minimal ventilation by Thursday is now able to breathe on his own and is classified as stable. The 8-year-old boy who was stabilised on the same day has been discharged from ICU and admitted into the General Ward,” explained Department of Health spokesperson Mondli Mvambi.