The pledging for the Santa Shoebox project officially kicked off on 1 September 1 and this year’s theme is “Let’s Make Magic”.
Each year the project invites organisations dealing with or caring for underprivileged children, orphanages, schools or children’s homes, to apply to be beneficiaries of the project. The project has received 2 430 applications for 2020.
According to the project’s national sponsorship and regional manager Margie Kostelac, the interest so far has been overwhelming, largely credited to publicity given by Caxton Local Media newspapers across the country. She said when the pledging opened on 1 September, they published the list of children’s names per area and supporters can now go to their website: santashoebox.org. za, and select the recipient of their shoe box by name, age and gender. “You can select as many recipients as you like,” she said. Kostelac explained that the website provides a full list of items to be included in a shoe box. According to her, these items include a toothbrush, toothpaste, facecloth, soap, and age-appropriate stationery items, an outfit of clothing, an age-appropriate toy and sweets.
To find out more about the Santa Shoebox project and how to participate:
• Visit santashoebox.org.za
• Register as a supporter.
• Pick a convenient drop-off point that you can reach on the specified date.
• Pledge a shoe box by selecting one or more recipients by name, age and gender.
• Print your QR-coded shoe box labels.
• Decorate or fill your shoe box according to the guidelines found on the website or Facebook page.
• Drop your shoebox at your selected drop- off point on the designated date.
Contat Margie Kostelac at margie@ santashoebox.org.za