If you haven’t started planning those family dinners yet, now is the time to start. This year Chef Niemand makes two great starters that can be plated for individual portions or buffet style, on a serving platter. Both recipes can also work well as side dishes with the main course.
|2||star anise seed pods|
|Zest of one orange|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste|
|24 Watermelon shapes (stars or triangles etc.)|
- Roast the coriander, star anise and cardamom seeds in a dry pan over low heat until the aromas start to develop.
- Remove to a mortar and pestle and grind until the seeds are powdered.
- Add the spices to a small pot with the apple vinegar, water, bay leaves, orange zest, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat. Cook for three minutes.
- Take the pot from the heat and stand to cool.
- Drizzle the cool sauce over the watermelon shapes.
- Cover and stand for an hour before serving.
- Serve with fresh cucumber.