|2||red onions, thinly sliced|
|30ml||white wine vinegar|
- Place all the ingredients in a non- metallic bowl and toss to coat.
- Stand for 10 minutes or until onion begins to soften.
|500g||cherry tomatoes (red and yellow), halved|
|2||cloves garlic, crushed|
|1||green chilli, chopped|
Place all the ingredients in a bowl and toss to coat
Ideas for Fillings or Toppings
- Grilled beef, sliced pickled onion (see recipe), chilli, fresh coriander, lettuce leaves, sour-cream (spread) and lemon wedges on the side.
- Grilled fish (or tinned), guacamole and coleslaw with lime wedges.
- Chicken skewers and sweet chilli sauce with salsa cruda (see recipe).
- Shredded chicken, pickled onion, chopped fresh herbs (e.g. coriander, thyme, basil), grated cheddar. Sandwich these ingredients between four tortillas, brush with oil and cook in a hot frying pan for 5-6 minutes each side. Serve with salsa cruda and diced avocado.
- Chicken breast sliced into strips, brush with oil and season. Brush one red onion cut into quarters with oil and cook with chicken about 3-4 minutes. Combine whole grain mustard and mayonnaise and spread onto chargrilled bread or chosen base – top with sliced tomato, chicken, rocket and onion (can do the same with a pork fillet)
- Use a thin store bought pizza base and top with caramelised onion, halved cherry tomatoes, olives, grated mozzarella and drizzle with olive oil – place on a tray and bake at 200°C for 10 minutes or until golden and crisp. Top with rocket and feta for a vegetarian option.