|½||scraped vanilla bean|
|10g||dried egg whites (Actiwhite)|
|60g||fresh egg whites ( 2 egg whites)|
|600g||inclusions, e.g.: 200g almonds, whole, toasted 100g pistachios, shelled 70g hazelnuts,
peeled, toasted 100g diced dried fruit e.g. apricots, figs 90g dried cherries or cranberries.
- Mix the dried egg whites together with the 30g sugar. Whisk (hand whisk) into the fresh egg whites to hydrate. Pour into a mixing bowl of a mixer with a whip attachment. DO NOT START MIXING.
- Prepare all inclusions. Keep in oven at 120°C in a large stainless steel bowl, until needed.
- Combine the 380g of sugar, the glucose syrup, water and scraped vanilla bean in a saucepan, and reserve.
- Cook the honey to 108°C. Turn on the mixer to medium speed, meanwhile cooking the honey to 120°C.
- When the honey reaches 120°C, immediately begin cooking the sugar with the water, glucose and vanilla bean, and cook on high heat.
- Pour the hot honey into the whipping whites. Continue whipping on high speed as the sugars cook.
- When the sugars reach 155°C, remove from heat and pour the hot sugar mixture into the whites – continue whisking on high speed for 3 minutes. Remove the inclusions from the hot oven and scrape the nougat into it…using a wooden spoon or a gloved hand, mix the inclusion into the nougat.
- Pour out into metal frames with a silicone mat underneath. Use a rolling pin to flatten the nougat. Allow to cool completely, or store overnight.
- Using a serrated knife or chef’s knife, cut into desired sizes.