It is alleged by Centlec officials that bubble wrap with a tin foil layer used for insulation was used under corrugated roof panels. Off-cuts were blown against power cables, which caused a short circuit and started the veld fire. The Mangaung Fire and Rescue Services says at least two vehicles and 15 firefighters were dispatched by them.
An estimated 160 hectares with at least 2000 olive trees were destroyed. The fire started after 13:00 on Thursday and community members, Bram Fischer International Airport’s Fire Department, Tempe Base Military, and farmers in the surrounding area were working together. They managed to put out the fire by 21:00 on Thursday night.
OFM News/Marvin Ntsane