More Hawks officials in cuffs in Central SA

0
749
Two more members of the Hawks in the Central South African region have been arrested for breaking the law this week.

OFM News reports that the two officials, who are in this instance stationed in the North West city of Klerksdorp, were arrested on Friday morning, over the alleged theft and sale of non-ferrous metals worth a paltry R5 200. Non-ferrous metals do not contain iron and may be raw or purified metals, like gold, aluminium, and copper.

North West Hawks spokesperson, Tlangelani Rikhotso, tells OFM News the 52-year-old Sebeko Letshwenyo and his 50-year-old colleague, Tshepo Lekaoa, have been charged with theft, possession of suspected stolen property, and defeating the ends of justice.

Rikhotso says the duo were arrested following a tip-off regarding the incident. Following their arrest, they briefly appeared before the Klerksdorp Magistrate’s Court on Friday and were released on a warning. She says “they are scheduled to appear again on 30 October 2020 for further investigation”.

On Monday, the Hawks in the Northern Cape also arrested one of their own for allegedly stealing R30 000 from the directorate’s purse.

Hawks spokesperson in the Northern Cape, Nomthandazo Mnisi, says Eugene Marshall Grace disappeared with more than half of the money that was meant to be used in a covert/sting operation undertaken by the directorate last month. He was tracked and arrested on Monday in Springbok, following several attempts on the part of the Hawks to have the money returned.

According to Mnisi, R50 000 was withdrawn from the state’s account for the operation last month. Hawks officials who were involved in the sting operation, only ended up using R20 000. Grace is alleged to have in a twist of events, booked off sick and disappeared with the rest of the money.  Mnisi says when he was arrested in Springbok on Monday, the Hawks recovered R11 000 of the money.

Grace appeared in the Springbok Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday facing theft charges. He was released  on a warning and his case was postponed to 15 September for further investigation.

OFM News/OLEBOGENG MOTSE