Gnocchi (pronounced nyo-kee) are Italian dumplings usually made from potato and flour and served with a pasta-type sauce. It is really easy to make and the homemade ones are fresh and light. You should try to make it at least once. Chef Niemand shows us how to make gnocchi in sage butter, but if you prefer, you can also just coat the cooked gnocchi with a basic mushroom sauce.
Pan fried gnocchi with parmesan cheese and burnt sage butter
|3||large potatoes (600g)|
|5ml||freshly ground black pepper|
|180ml||cake flour (more or less)|
|15ml||fresh lemon juice|
|30g||butter for frying|
|Parmesan shavings to serve|
- Prick the potatoes and oven bake at 180-200°C until soft and cooked through.
- Remove the potato flesh with a spoon, discarding the skin.
- Mash the potato (or push through ricer or fine sieve) and add the salt and pepper.
- Add enough flour to form a soft, smooth dough that is not sticky.
- Lightly flour the work surface then roll the mixture into a thick rope and cut into 2.5cm pieces.
- To shape the gnocchi, lightly drag a fork over each piece. There are many ways to make impressions on gnocchi, but the reason is most important – the ridges catch the sauce.
- Dust the gnocchi with extra flour and set aside. Make sure they don’t touch.
- To cook, gently drop the gnocchi into plenty of salted boiling water.
- As soon as they rise to the surface, they are done and should be removed with a slotted spoon.
To make the sauce:
- Melt the 100g butter in a pan and add the sage leaves.
- When the butter turns nutty and golden, add the lemon juice and set aside.
- Met the 30g butter in a hot frying pan. Add the gnocchi and fry until golden and crisp.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan, drizzle over the burnt sage butter and serve immediately.
Basic Mushroom Sauce
This sauce is also great with pasta. Serves 2
|Salt and pepper to taste|
- Fry the sliced white mushrooms in the butter.
- Add the cake flour and cook for one more minute.
- Add the milk and mustard powder and stir until it thickens.
- Season to taste and add some freshly chopped herbs and grated cheese.