When a person goes missing, it is essential to take steps to begin an investigation immediately.
The public can assist the police when reporting a missing person by following these important steps:
• Remember that there is no waiting period to report a person as missing.
• Report a missing person at your nearest police station immediately.
• Produce a recent photograph of the missing person if possible.
• Give a complete description of the missing person’s last whereabouts, clothes they were wearing, as well as any information that can assist the investigating officer.
• Complete and sign a SAPS 55(A) form. This form safeguards the SAPS from hoax reports and indemnifies the SAPS when distributing the photograph and information of the missing person.
• Obtain the investigating officer’s contact details and send through any additional information that might become available.
• If a missing person is found or returns voluntarily, inform the investigating officer immediately. A SAPS 92 form must be completed to inform the Bureau of Missing Persons that the missing person’s report can be removed from the system.