Homemade pasta made easy
This week Chef Niemand shares a simple recipe for beginners to make their own pasta. If you are a determent home chef, you can do this with a rolling pin, but it is advisable to use a pasta machine to get it even and really thin. Homemade pasta is delicious and you will never look back once you have tried and tasted it, but it also takes some practice to get it perfect.
|Basic eggless pasta|
|30 ml||olive oil|
- Mix everything together and knead very well to form a soft and malleable dough.
- Rest the dough in the fridge for a minimum of two hours.
- Cut the dough into manageable pieces and proceed to fold and roll with the machine, starting at the highest number (thickest setting) on the machine.
- The piece of dough should at least go through the machine 12 to 14 times (this means that you will probably need to put it through the 8 setting three times etc.).
- Cut the dough into the desired shapes (squares for lasagne or long strips for tagliatelle).
- Let it dry on a drying rack for an hour or two.
- To cook, immerse pasta in fast boiling salt water (always 3 litres water: 500g pasta).
- Take care not to overcook since freshly made pasta cooks for a few minutes only.
- Do not rinse unless you are using it to make a salad. Rinsing washes away the surface starch that makes the sauce stick.
- Immediately toss with a sauce.
Basic tomato sauce
|3||medium tomatoes, blanched, refreshed and seeds removed|
|45 ml||olive oil|
|Maldon salt to taste|
|1||medium onion, finely chopped|
|2||garlic cloves, crushed|
|1||celery stick, finely chopped|
|2 x 410g||tins of whole, peeled tomatoes|
|2||big tomatoes, blanched, refreshed, seeds removed and chopped|
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Drizzle the first three tomatoes that appear on the ingredients list with the cut-side up with 15 ml of the olive oil, Maldon salt and thyme and roast for 20 minutes in oven.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the anchovy fillets and sauté until soft and translucent. Add the carrot and celery and sauté until soft.
- Add the roasted tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients, except for the parsley and basil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove the bay leaf. Add parsley and basil.
- Serve with pasta of your choice.
Serve homemade pasta with a simple sauce like melted butter, olive oil, pesto or tomato sauce.
This eggless pasta dough can be used to make lasagne sheets, tagliatelle, tortellini or filled ravioli.