About a week after the City of Roses was shocked with videos that went viral on hit-and-run incidents taking place in different areas and not too far apart, there is finally some light at the end of the tunnel. The driver who had bumped Jeremy Barnard was arrested in De Aar last week and appeared in the Bloemfontein Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday. Khathazile Tolong (43) was released on bail of a R1000 and will be in court again soon.
The other victim, Jason Pieters (22) from Bloemfontein, who is currently recovering well from the hit-and-run incident that occurred at the corner of First Avenue and Zastron Street, has had his jaw repaired yesterday (Wednesday) after it had been broken in three different places after the accident. His father, Johan Pieters, told Bloemfontein Courant that he is just so grateful that his son has no brain damage after his terrible accident. He said however, that the accident did have an impact on his son’s life, as after the accident his son will not be able to work in the mechanical industry as before for a while. He explained that even though his son is still in a lot of pain, he is mobile and can speak to some extent because of his jaw injury.
Pieters explained that the police had told him on Tuesday that nobody has been arrested as yet but their investigation is still ongoing. He also said the one thing that he was looking forward to the most was having his son home and hopefully this will soon be a reality.
Jason told Bloemfontein Courant that he is so grateful to be alive and thankful for the people who stood by him and his parents through this difficult time.
The second victim in a hit-and-run incident that took place on the same weekend, Jeremy Barnard , is still in the Universitas Hospital.
According to his mother, Rouvé Barnard, Jeremy is still being kept sedated and there has been no change in his condition.