FS ANC provincial elective conference invalid

0
420

NEWS TEAM

The Constitutional Court declared the ANC’s Free State provincial elective conference invalid. In a judgment handed down in Johannesburg today the provincial elective conference held at Parys in June as well as its decisions and resolutions were declared unlawful and invalid. An appeal was brought by six Free State ANC members who challenged the validity of the PEC in court last month, claiming elections at branch level were irregular. The party begins its conference on Sunday.
A political analyst from the University of the Free State, Hussein Solomon, says Ace Magashule’s subsequent removal as provincial ANC leader will have a significant impact on the policy outcomes at Mangaung. He added that this will most likely open a can of worms and will see other provinces follow in the Free State’s footsteps.
The national executive committee of the ANC will meet tomorrow to discuss the Constitutional Court judgement against the ANC in the Free State. This after the Court today declared the Free State provincial elective conference unlawful and its contents and decisions invalid. This decision comes just two days before the start of the party’s 53rd national elective conference in Mangaung. ANC’s secretary-general Gwede Mantashe said at a press conference in Bloemfontein today that they will abide by the court’s decision.