Free State motorist to be reimbursed for pothole damages

Photo for illustration purposes. PHOTO: Pierce van Heerden

Free State motorist will soon breathe a sigh of relief.

OFM News reports, Free State Department of Police, Roads and Transport (DPRT) spokesperson, Hillary Mophethe, has confirmed motorist can now claim for damage to their vehicles caused by potholes.

In a statement Mophethe says motorists must ensure they provide the exact location where their accident occurred before submitting claims to any office.

She advised motorists to take pictures of the damaged car, the pothole, and a wide shot of the road and surroundings where the incident occurred.

Mophethe says motorists can submit their claims to specific municipalities for any damages encountered in towns or townships, but for damages incurred on a national road it is the responsibility of the South African National Road Agency.

She further says if the incident occurs on a provincial road, motorist can submit their claims to the DPRT.

Mophethe also advised motorist to bring along the following:

A copy of their drivers’ license, vehicle registration documents

  • A copy of their Identity Document (ID)
  • Photos of the damage to their vehicle and of the pothole in question
  • A doctor’s report if there were any injuries,
  • An affidavit with a police station stamp and a letter from their insurance or affidavit indicating the vehicle is not insured
  • Three quotations from registered panel beaters or invoices for repairs.

She concluded that a list of offices in the Free State can be found on the department’s website.

Claim forms can be obtained from any DPRT offices or downloaded from the department’s website.

OFM News/Kekeletso Mosebetsi