For this recipe you will need a sugar thermometer. Florentines are baked
twice but it is really worth the effort
|Short dough base|
|900g||butter, cut into cubes|
|450g||icing sugar, sifted|
|5g||lemon zest (of one lemon)|
|1360g||cake flour, sifted|
- Lightly mix the butter, sugar and lemon zest together until the mixture is light and fluffy. (Use the paddle attachment).
- Add the vanilla and the egg yolks one by one and mix lightly.
- Add the cake flour to make a dough.
- Press the dough into two greased sheet pans. (Or you can use individual moulds like those on the pictures).
- Prick the dough with a fork and bake at 180°C for 10 minutes only.
The key to a successful topping is to make sure that they sugar has melted before you start to boil the mixture.
|300g||sliced almonds (no need to roast)|
- Place the sugar, honey, cream and butter in a pot and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Bring the mixture to the boil – if it reaches 116°C, remove immediately.
- Pour the mixture over the prebaked crust and even out.
- Bake at 175°C for another 45 minutes.
- Cool in the pan and cut into squares.