Delicious Lamb Shank Soup
Make this delicious lamb shank soup for those last few cold days.
|2kg||lamb shank and/or lamb knuckles|
|2||ribs of celery stalks|
|2||cloves of garlic, crushed|
|2 x 400g||butter beans|
|1x 400g||tinned crushed tomatoes|
- Finely chop the onion and slice the ribs of celery and carrot.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and brown the shanks in batches.
- Cook the onion, celery, carrot and garlic in the same pan, stirring continuously for about 5 minutes or until the onion softens.
- Return the shanks to the pan with the water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook for about 2 hours.
- Remove the soup mixture from the heat.
- When the shanks are cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones and break into coarse chunks.
- Refrigerate the cooled soup and meat (cover it) separately overnight.
- Discard the fat from the cold surface of the soup mixture.
- Place the soup mixture and meat in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the butter beans, tomatoes and lemon juice and simmer uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with fresh home baked bread