CUT students out on bail following fundraising initiative

0
1433
There was heavy police presence on 18 February as protests broke out at CUT in Bloemfontein.Photo: Pierce van Heerden

Deputy President of the SRC at the Central University of Technology (CUT), Tshegofatso Mojanaga has confirmed that all students who were arrested on Thursday, following protests on the CUT Bloemfontein campus on Tuesday, had been released on bail. The arrested students were granted bail of R1000 each on Friday.

Mojanaga had earlier made a plea to help raise funds for the arrested students on her Facebook page, where she later added that they had raised enough funds to bail out the students.

Mojanaga would not comment further on the matter stating that since the protests started the media had been portraying them negatively.

OFM News earlier reported that police spokesperson, Motantsi Makhele, said the case had been postponed to 31 March 2020. The National Prosecution Authority (NPA) Spokesperson in the Free State, Phaladi Shuping, said all students are facing a charge of public violence. He says bail conditions have been set for them and they are as follows:

  • They must not interfere with student activities.
  • They must not partake in any illegal gatherings.
  • They must not disrupt any classes/lectures.

info@bloemfonteincourant.co.za