Why do we eat cookies for Christmas? For lots of people, it’s not Christmas without cookies. Our kids leave cookies out for Santa, we spend weeks baking and decorating our cookies, and there’s always a cookie plate at any party. This week chef Suné Niemand shares the second last part of her creative ideas for sweet festive treats.
(approx 80 little cakes – can also halve the recipe)
For these little cakes which are easily recognised by their unique shell-like form you will need a special tin (called madelein tin). It is worthwhile shopping for one.
|250g||cake wheat flour|
- Gently melt the butter and then set aside to cool a little. Mix together the sifted flour and then the sugar.
- Add the melted butter to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the eggs one by one and stir well after each addition. Cover and refrigerate for two hours.
- When ready to use the mixture preheat the oven to 180°C – grease two madelein tins and dust lightly with some flour.
- Spoon the batter into the moulds and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown – remove from the oven and leave in the tins to cool for a few minutes.
- Turn out – best eaten while still fresh with a cup of tea – can keep for 3 days in an airtight container.
Piped butter cookies
|500g||butter, room temperature|
|Pinch of salt|
|1kg||cake wheat flour|
- Cream the butter, sugars and salt in a mixer with the paddle attachment. Scrape the bowl down well once during the creaming.
- Whisk the eggs, yolks and vanilla together and then add to the creamed butter on low speed – DO NOT OVERMIX THE CREAMED BUTTER AND EGG MIXTURE AS THIS WILL RESULT INTO OVER EXPANDED BISCUITS LOSING SHAPE AND BEING DEFLATED. Scrape the bowl down well once during beating.
- Blend in the cake wheat flour on low speed. Mix just until the cake wheat flour is evenly incorporated.
- Place, starting with half the mixture in a piping bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe the dough onto parchment lined sheet pans in rosettes or any other shape and bake the cookies until they are lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Cool and serve or make sandwiches with desired filling.