(bi-scotti = twice baked)
|1||lemon, juice and zest|
|430g||cake wheat flour|
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Melt the butter in a small pan, then add the grated lemon zest and strained juice.
- Place the eggs, yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl and whip lightly to give just a little aeration.
- Sift in the baking powder and flour, then mix – 2 using a spatula.
- Add the chopped pecans and almonds, then the butter and lemon mixture and mix well.
- Divide the dough into 3 and shape into ciabatta-like loaves.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper and cook for 40 minutes until light golden brown, taking care not to overcook or it will be very difficult to slice afterwards.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- At this point the biscotti loaves can be wrapped and frozen for up to 3 weeks; alternatively, freeze only 2 of the loaves and proceed with the remaining one.
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Thinly slice the loaf into 12 pieces.
- Place on a baking sheet and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container until needed, kept for up to a week.