The Institute of Plumbing South Africa (IOPSA) has recently launched a search function that makes choosing the best plumber in your area simple and easy.
So what does this mean for you? Plumbing companies who are registered with IOPSA have to conform to the highest standards, both in installation standards and business ethics. In South Africa many companies claim to be reliable or quality plumbers. It is extremely difficult for a consumer, architect or construction company to sort the wheat from the chaff. IOPSA registered plumbers need to meet the following minimum requirements:
- Employment of suitably qualified and licensed plumbers i.e. registered with the professional body for plumbers (PIRB).
- Adequate public liability insurance.
- Tax clearance certificate.
- Registered company or sole proprietor.
- Acceptance of IOPSA Code of Good Practice and Constitution.
- Subject to IOPSA complaints and disciplinary procedures.
- Continuous professional development of all licensed plumbers.
- Only use approved quality products.
- Conduct all installations in accordance with national building regulations, local by-laws and national standards.
- Issue a PIRB Certificate of Compliance for the work done.
In the unlikely event that you encounter a problem with an IOPSA plumber, you have some recourse. Our complaints portal is manned by highly trained staff who are able to investigate, inspect and rule on any installation done by an IOPSA registered plumber, at no charge.
If you are looking for a safe, quality plumber to do work for you make sure you select an IOPSA registered plumber. Otherwise you could be in for a very costly and messy affair. For more information and to find out how IOPSA is uplifting the industry visit www.iopsa.org
The Institute of Plumbing South Africa (IOPSA) is an NPO which was established in 1989 by plumbers. Today IOPSA has evolved to be the largest plumbing body in South Africa and is the recognised voice of the South African Plumbing industry. IOPSA provides a platform to advise on the practice and principles of the plumbing industry. The institute regularly consults and liaises with the plumbing industry, governmental and regulatory bodies for the discussion of matters affecting the plumbing industry. IOPSA is recognised and in most cases has representation on most national and internationally plumbing and legislative bodies.