Chocolate mud cake
This is the densest one you will probably ever make. And it is a winner.
|150g||dark chocolate, chopped (70% works best)|
|30ml||instant coffee powder|
|2||eggs lightly beaten|
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease a 20-cm round cake tin and line the sides with baking paper.
- Combine the butter, chocolate, sugar, water, liqueur and coffee powder in a medium saucepan.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir over medium heat until chocolate melts.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl; cool for 15 minutes.
- Whisk in combined sifted flours, cocoa powder and eggs. Pour into prepared tin using baking paper.
- Bake cake about 1 hour 30 minutes. Stand cake in tin for 30 minutes before turning onto wire rack; turn cake upside down to cool.
Cover the cake loosely with foil about halfway through the baking time if it starts to overbrown.
The cake will keep for up to one week in an airtight container in refrigerator.