Chocolate and black cherry marquise
This week chef Suné Niemand shares two wonderful Christmas cake recipes, one for a fig and pistachio loaf and the other a chocolate and black cherry marquise.
|2||large egg yolks|
|25g||cocoa powder, sifted|
|45ml||Kirsch (cherry liqueur) or Espresso|
|130ml||double cream, whipped to soft peaks|
|410g||can pitted black cherries in syrup|
- Put the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of simmering water to melt. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Beat the egg yolks and icing sugar until thick and pale, and double in volume.
- Sift the cocoa powder into the egg and sugar mixture and fold in along with the Kirsch or Espresso.
- Fold the melted chocolate into the egg mixture, followed by the whipped cream.
- Top the sponge cake (cut into desired shape) with some cherries and syrup.
- Add a thick layer of the chocolate and cream filling. Repeat layering the cake, cherries and filling, ending with the filling.
- Garnish with chocolate shards and fresh cherries.