Spoil yourself and your loved ones with a home baked cake this weekend. Chef Niemand shares her recipes for a scrumptious carrot cake and chocolate cake.
|285g||butter – softened|
|1||orange (zest and juice)|
|170g||self raising flour|
|5 ml||baking powder|
|285g||carrots, peeled and coarsely grated|
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and prepare two round cake tins.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg yolks one by one and add the orange zest and juice
- Sift in all the dry ingredients and stir in the almonds and pecans as well as the grated carrot.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff. Fold it into the cake mixture.
- Scoop into the prepared tins and bake for about 30 minutes until cooked through.
Icing sugar (+/-250 grams)
NOTE: How much icing sugar you need will depends on whether you use cream cheese or smooth cottage cheese.
250ml cream cheese or smooth cottage cheese
- Start by placing the cheese in a medium bowl. Beat the cheese until softened slightly, then sift over icing sugar a bit at a time and mix in until smooth.
- Cut your lemon in half and squeeze some of the juice into the cheese and sugar mixture – taste and add as much as suits your taste.
- If your icing is too thick, add a little milk until it is the desired thickness. If it is too runny, add more sifted icing sugar until thick enough.