Today Chef Suné Niemand shares two new recipes in her delightful Breadtopia series.
Hungarian coffee cake
|50g||almonds, finely chopped|
- Combine flour, salt and sugar. Add the dry yeast.
- Melt the butter in the milk and allow cooling. Add to the dry ingredients together with the beaten egg and mix well to form a soft dough. Knead until the mixture is smooth and elastic.
- On a lightly floured surface, rest the dough for 20 minutes.
- Knock the dough down. Tear off a small piece of dough, the size of a walnut and shape into a ball. Repeat this step until all the dough has been used up. Keep dough covered at all times.
- Melt the butter and allow cooling. Mix the sugar, nuts and cinnamon together.
- Roll each ball first in the melted butter and then in the sugar mixture. Place another layer on top so that they barely touch at the bottom of a greased 30cm ring tin.
- Cover and allow proving for 40 minutes, in a warm place.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes.