Botshabelo family loses everything in shack fire

0
1744
The Malikoe family of D-Section in Botshabelo lost everything in a shack fire. PHOTO: LEBAKENG NKABI

As the winter season approaches and shack fires become more common, one family from Botshabelo, east of Bloemfontein, became the first victim of a destructive blaze this week. The Malikoe family from D-Section lost everything the fire that has also left them homeless.

The family members were out to buy some essential goods when they got a call from their neighbour, telling them that there was a lot of smoke coming from their home. They rushed home, but on their arrival the blaze was already so huge that they couldn’t save any of their belongings.

Makatleho Malikoe told Bloemfontein Courant that the fire started while they were not at home.

The community of D-Section in Botshabelo helping the Malikoe family after a shack fire destroyed their home. PHOTO: LEBAKENG NKABI

“Because of the huge blaze we were unable to save anything, but the fortunate part is that there was no loss of life. The community tried to help us but everything went up in smoke. We are left with only the clothes on our backs.

“We have lost belongings such as clothes , identity documents, food and furniture. We are now staying at my in-laws. Our councillor has promised to build us an RDP house after lockdown,” said Makatleho.

Anyone who would like to help the Malikoe family can contact Makatleho on 073 2142 888.

Lebakeng Nkabi

info@mahareng.co.za