The time has come to gather your venison recipes. This week and for the following few weeks Chef Niemand shares some new ideas for venison.
|4||slices bread, soaked in venison stock|
|Salt and black pepper|
|100ml||dried fruit chutney|
- Sauté the onion, curry and turmeric in a little oil.
- Add the meat and brown slightly.
- Stir in the bread with salt and pepper.
- Mix the chutney, bay leaves and eggs and stir into meat mixture. Stir the mixture well and spoon into an ovenproof dish.
- Top with quinces and cheese crust.
- Rub the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Mix in the cheese and grate the dough over the quince layer on top of the bobotie.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes at 160°C or until crust is lightly browned.
Honey Poached Quince
- Fill a bowl with enough water to cover the fruit. Add the juice of 1 lemon. Peel and core the quinces and cut into quarters.
- Place in acidulated water to prevent browning.
- Combine the water, salt, lemon juice, honey, five spice, cinnamon and star anise in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add the quince quarters and poach in the simmering liquid for about 30 minutes until soft.
- Remove the quince and transfer to a bowl. Boil the poaching liquid uncovered until reduced.