Bloemfontein Celtic rubbish Ajax take over

0
312
The former Bloemfontein Celtic captain and goalkeeper, Patrick Tignyemb, celebrating the team's 1-0 win over Orlando Pirates early in the season at the Toyota Stadium. PHOTO: MORGAN PIEK

The Premier Soccer League club, Bloemfontein Celtic, has rubbished reports that they are on the brink of the selling their top-flight status to the National First Division team, Ajax Cape Town.

The news that the Urban Warriors are looking to move up to the PSL via a Free State-based club broke last week ahead of the final round of the league.

Free State Stars were relegated on Sunday following a 1-0 defeat in Bethlehem to the eventual champions, Mamelodi Sundowns.

This made for Celtic to be the only available option for Ajax and especially with Celtic’s well documented financial troubles, it could have been a solution to both clubs’ needs.

It now, however, appears that the side from the Mother City indeed had a deal with Ea Lla Koto instead of Phunya Sele Sele, and this has fallen through due to Free State Stars being relegated.

A PSL status is said to sell for anything up to R60 million and this would have meant that the Celtic chairman, Max Tshabalala, could settle his debt.

The club is up for sale, but up until now, a suitable buyer has not been found by Tshabalala.

The Celtic CEO, Khumbulani Konco, rubbished the reports that the club will be selling its status to Ajax.

“This is not the first time we hear this. At some stage, one journalist said the club has been sold to Kimberley and next thing, the club was sold to Port Elizabeth. It’s not true that the club has been sold to Ajax Cape Town.”

Meanwhile, via the social media, Ajax are adamant that they will be playing football in the PSL again next season.

There are even suggestions now that Ajax may be targeting the Port Elizabeth-based Chippa United who narrowly avoided relegation with a 1-0 win over Kaizer Chiefs during the final round of the league.

Meanwhile, Celtic and its captain, Patrick Tignyemb, parted ways last week after a fallout over the players’ bonuses. The incident occurred after the club had issued a letter of instruction to the players to report for training or face the possibility of not receiving their March salaries.

Tignyemb has hinted that he has undergone medicals at some other clubs and has indicated that he will not be returning to Phunya Sele Sele. – MORGAN PIEK