Bacon and Broccoli Soup
Today Chef Niemand shares a recipe for a hearty bacon and broccoli soup. We also added a recipe for the chicken stock you will need.
|300g||broccoli, frozen or fresh|
|1||medium potato, peeled anddiced|
|1||medium onion, chopped|
|Salt and pepper|
- Sweat the onion in a medium sizeheavy bottom pan. Remove the onion from the pan and cook the bacon in the same pan until crisp.
- Add the potato, broccoli, onion andchicken stock.
- Cook until potato and broccoli are soft.
- Blend all the ingredients together witha stick blender until smooth.
- Season to taste and serve hot withgood quality bread.
(Makes about 2.5 litres of stock)
|1.8kg||chicken bones, including necks, trimmed of fat|
|300g||mixed, diced vegetables (onion, carrot and celery)|
|3||sprigs fresh rosemary|
|3||sprigs fresh thyme|
|3||sprigs fresh parsley|
- Wash the bones under cold running water. Place in half of the cold water (2.8 litres) in a heavy based pot and bring to a simmer.
- Strain the water and rinse the bones again. Place the bones in the remaining cold water and add the vegetables.
- Bring to a slow simmer constantly skimming fat and scum. Simmer for around 4-6 hours. Add the herbs at the end of the cooking process.
- Strain the stock through a fine sieve and use immediately, or cool in an ice-water bath and refrigerate until needed.