The ANC in the Free State has denied that it has failed to erect a museum in the memory of the late Winnie Mandela. Speaking to members of the media at a briefing in Brandfort, Convenor of the Interim Provincial Task Team, William Bulwane, said statements that the Provincial government failed to erect this structure owing to allegations of corruption are untrue. Bulwane stated that the project, which was conceptualised in 2007 and from R3 million allocated for the museum, close to R205 000 went towards the museum plans and designs. The the remainder of the money was redirected to towards the Wesleyan Church in Batho, as the ANC was allegedly under pressure owing to the centenary celebrations which were held in 2012.
Meanwhile, Bulwane also said that recent statements made by former finance minister, Trevor Manuel, to former premier, Ace Magashule, at a memorial service held for Winnie in Cape Town last week were reckless. Manuel lambasted Magashule last week saying he needs to account for failure to build the Madikizela-Mandela monument in Brandfort, at the home where she was banished by the Apartheid government to and lived for over eight years. “The restoration of the house in Brandfort was budgeted for years ago. (Ace) Magashule has taken 11 years to fulfil his commitment,” said Manuel. Bulwane said that it was unfortunate that Manuel used the memorial ceremony as an opportunity for political battle by accusing Magashule of corruption when he had no compelling evidence of his accusations. He further called for the reprimanding of Manuel by the party, as Bulwane said his statements were divisive and did not promote the party’s mandate of Unity and Renewal. The ANC Free State is expected to hold a memorial service for Madikizela-Mandela at the Majwemasweu Community Hall in Brandfort. Madikizela-Mandela died last week Monday at the Milpark Hospital in Johannesburg. She was 81 years old.