OFM News reports that the Hawks’ newly appointed provincial spokesperson, Christopher Singo, says the 16-year-old will re-appear at the special Children’s Court on Thursday 10 December. The case was pushed back to allow for further investigations into the matter.
The 16-year-old from the Mafube Intermediate School in Phuthaditjhaba was nabbed after her two 15-year-old schoolmates were tracked down at a tavern in Sasolburg in Zamdela after being kidnapped for at least 11 days and used for prostitution. The suspect was nabbed by the police after it emerged that she allegedly solicited the kidnapping of her peers with a suspect who is on the run from the police.
The case has now been referred to the Hawks – South Africa’s Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation. Singo previously told OFM News that the tavern in question operate like a tavern but has rooms inside. He did not further elaborate if the Hawks suspect that the place is being used as a brothel.
Police spokesperson, Motantsi Makhele, previously said the preliminary investigations revealed that the girls were lured from their homes and used for prostitution by unknown foreign nationals.
He added that their school uniforms were found inside a dustbin outside one of the girl’s family home, which then prompted the investigation into their disappearance. He further added that these girls were reunited with their families by the Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences Unit (FCS).