An 8-year-old boy was hit by a bus on Saturday 14 October 2017 at Masilo in Theunissen. It is alleged that he was trying to cross the road to avoid being hit by a Citi Golf that was in the oncoming lane. He was allegedly run over by the bus that was in the opposite direction. The young boy died on the scene and a case of culpable homicide was opened for further investigation.
Thabong Cluster office management would like to urge pedestrians to be more vigilant when crossing the road. It has come to the attention of Thabong Cluster that cases related to road accidents are being reported from time to time. Not being mindful when crossing the road can have serious consequences.
The following precaution measures are provided to ensure road safety and prevention of road accidents:
- Look before you cross – just because someone decides to cross doesn’t mean it is safe for you to do so. Parents are to assist children as they cross the street.
- Always use the pedestrian crossings safely.
- Do not cross the road unless it is safe to do so, particularly on N1, N5 (Winburg).
- Unplug your earphones and avoid texting while crossing the road.
- Never assume that the driver of an approaching vehicle can see you or will stop for you.
- Wear bright, coloured clothing at night or when in reduced visibility conditions.
Issued by: Thabong Corporate Communication