Resident students at CUT allowed to stay on

CUT students singing and supporting fellow students outside the Bloemfontein Magistrates Court. Photo: Moeketsi Mogotsi.

Central University of Technology (CUT) students from outside of Bloemfontein who cannot afford to go home or chose to remain behind to catch-up on their studies can stay on in residents until the campus re-open.

This follows after renewed protest action against fees increments lead to the shutdown of university campuses across the country.

CUT students were notified earlier this week to vacate residences after all academic and administration activities were suspended until October 10.

Student leaders then approached the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) to assist.

SAHRC Provincial Manager, Buang Jones, said they reached an agreement with CUT management.

“We drafted an urgent letter to the CUT asking him to consider students who do not have money to go home or needed alternative accommodation,” said Jones.

Students were released with a warning on Wednesday following their arrests in the early hours of Tuesday morning. 

Meanwhile the situation at the campus remains calm at the CUT Bloemfontein campus and strict security at the entrances are in place.

Cathy Dlodlo/Courant News