Mangaung opposition to boycott Ward Councillors Gala Dinner


The Democratic Alliance and Freedom Front Plus in Mangaung will boycott the Ward Committees Gala Dinner that will be held on Tuesday at the City Hall in Bloemfontein. Both parties say this is wasteful expenditure and that the municipality should be using available funds for service delivery. The DA claim that about 700 people have been invited to the event which will cost the municipality more than R300 000.

Professor Elizabeth Snyman-Van Deventer of the FF Plus says the municipality cannot afford to spend that kind of money on a farewell dinner. DA councillor, Joalane Rantai, says during the next council meeting they will be asking the municipality how much it has spent on events so far.

“There is so much money that is going to be spent. In fifty wards we have ten committee members. If we sum up the figures it will be 500 people and then there are also 100 councillors that will be attending, as well as other people from the province. The transport will also be taken into consideration. The food, the drinks, the hiring of tents – we estimate that more than R300 000 will be spent,” added Rantai.

Seithati Semenokane / Courant News