Wheelchair Tennis South Africa announced today that two-time Grand Slam Champion Lucas Sithole has withdrawn from the season ending NEC Wheelchair Tennis Masters in London, Great Britain.
The tournament, due to take place from November 30 until December 4, will be staged at Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park for the third year in a row.
He was due to be the second seed in the six-player tournament behind American David Wagner following world number one Australian Dylan Alcott’s withdrawal.
The world number three KwaZulu-Natal native will miss the International Tennis Federation (ITF)’s season-ending Championships for the world’s top singles players due to injury.
The 30-year-old Sithole was primed to return to London this year after he finished as a runner-up last year in London to eight-time champion David Wagner from America, with the hope for the top prize this time.
Sithole said he was very disappointed for missing the tournament, “I am very disappointed that I will not be able to compete at the NEC Masters this year due to a swelling on my stump. I will need to take some time off to recover fully but I know I will get back as strong as ever.”
“Lucas’ stump has picked up a swelling and severe inflammation, the doctors expect it to clear in 7-9 days and since his stump is an integral part of his mobility, we would like to make sure that the treatments are done properly and leave no permanent damage,” said Sithole’s Coach Holger Losch.