Danish national, Peter Frederikson, who is accused of mutilating the genitals of a number of women and storing their severed sexual organs in his fridge, will bring a new bail application in the Bloemfontein Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
The 62-year old’s legal team told the Free State High Court that they were not ready to proceed with the pretrial hearing, this morning. This hearing was postponed to 23 September.
The Free state High court was filled with heavily armed members of the police’s tactical response team, Department of Correctional Services guards, and ANC Women’s League members. Frederikson, who owns a firearms dealer in Bloemfonten, is considered a flight risk, as he has previously fled his home country after facing charges of dealing in illegal weapons.
Besides the charge of genital mutilation, Frederikson also faces a raft of other charges. These include sexual assault, illegal removal and storage of human tissue, possession of child pornography and conspiracy to commit murder. The latter charge is related to the murder of his wife, who was gunned down in Lesotho, shortly after it emerged that she would likely testify against him.
The State withdrew charges against co-accused in this matter, Motlatsi Moqete, during their previous appearance.
The ANC Womens’ League’s Mapaseka Nkoane says the latest postponement appears to be a ploy to delay proceedings. She was also concerned about rumours that Frederikson’s heavy police escort would be removed, as well as the possible removal of police protection for prosecutor, Amanda Bester, who they believe could become a target.